Project Based Learning

Project Based Learning, at the first sight when I read this term it gave me the idea that it referred to learning which is based on projects. This term made me think especially of one of the times when I had an important project on Gender issues, where we were in competition with other schools in America, Spain etcetera trying to get the first place. At the beginning, I thought that this topic had to do with the way how we organize our projects; how we collaborate with other competitors and also the experience we get in the end. From all the articles that I read until now about this method, I realized that my idea at the beginning was not incorrect, but it was somehow diverse from it as it referred to materials and concepts that are learned through projects. It is a good way to teach those key skills that we mentioned when we had the first lecture, which refer to critical thinking, collaboration, time management and communication. This method in my opinion is quite helpful and entertaining for both students and teachers at the same way, due to some reasons.
After having an idea on what this technique promotes and the effect that it has, I am very enthusiastic to share my thoughts with you about ways how I will apply it in my future. As the main goal is to use projects helping in learning the materials or the concepts presented all the time while having lesson, I will make use of this method during my whole class. The teacher’s role in this method is that of a guide facilitator, which means that he/she is there to help actively students with any problem, and to help them think critically, one of the skills that a student in the 21st century should posses.  
Firstly, I think that I will promote an important element of PBL technique, known as teamwork. In a group work, despite students interconnecting with one another, I will manage to be a supporter and help them solve problems that may arise all the way through their research, which will have real world connections. Secondly, taking into consideration that every teaching method has its own role as for the teacher so as for the student, I have to make clear that this method is no exception at all. Thirdly, as PBL is a new approach which has evolved with technology, I think that I can use the latter in my classes to make them much more entertaining and intimidating. During our lectures we have learned different apps such as hot potatoes, quizzes, Google classrooms, as well as padlet that we might use in our future classes and all of those are strictly interrelated with technology. So, also in this new technique it has to be taken into account that technology plays an important role, because it refers to the choices regarding multimedia that the student will use for his/her research.
To conclude, Project Based Learning will be the best method to use in classes if we manage to achieve all the 21st skills necessary while learning. It can be described as the best vehicle for integrating with one another various subjects. As John Dewey said: “If we teach today’s students as we taught yesterday, we rob them of tomorrow”.

Comments

  1. You have given such a great importance to this 21st century skill that this technique in itself embraces and that's what I mostly like from this post. Also what caught my attention was also the fact that you admitted the difficulties you may encounter if proceeding with this technique in a common classroom . Your final quote somehow concludes all your reflection and mine too about our attitude towards this new inovation.
    Good job.
    Keep up like this 😊 !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the post ,even Eva's comment , still I don't get a thing;why do you name PBL a technique?! This is more then a technique , even more then a method , it's more like an approach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your comment and I want to answer it. First of all, if you read materials on internet about PBL you will see that there are different terms used to describe it.Secondly, if you would read my post carefully, there you will see that I have mentioned as well the term Approach.

      Delete
  3. It was a good reflection on PBL and all the things that you have mentioned in your post are accurate and help us to reflect even in our knowledge as teachers to be and which method to use with our students in order to make them good learners.Thank u

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the fact that you've mentioned teamwork as one of the advantages of this approach. I think it is very important that PBL promotes collaboration among students and teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an original reflection.Your post is well organized and very informative.That's because,you have shown what this approach means in your first paragraph and then you have explained in details how you will make use of this approach in your future career as a teacher.Thank u for sharing with us such a good reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that you have mentioned the 21 century student should do.
    Also what i liked most if the part of teamwork. You give teamwork it importance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the exact way that I also want to apply this approach in my future as a teacher. I like the fact that you have described the steps carefully with details. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do remember the project on gender issues and it was very educative . I do agree with you ideas Izi because rechnology is becoming part of our learning and teaching and just like you Im enthusiastic to use it in my classes ☺️ I like how you have organized your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a good reflection on Pbl and i like the fact that you have mentioned teamwork as advantage of this method. Your ideas are always organized! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is good to see that you have though of TBL in terms of technological developments. The prediction on the future can be tied with this and we might say that TBL will be used more than before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post is not only well organized and informative,but very comprehensible and practical.This is a good reflection . I really enjoyed it. ps. i love collaborations . cograts :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post is well organized . I like the fact that you have explained this approach in details . You have written exactly why PBL is important in this period that we are part of technology and we practice it every day . Thank you !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

multiple intelligences and multimedia

A Reflection on Webinars

A Reflection on Juniors conference